ETrade is one of the largest online brokerage firms in the United States. They offer their customers the ability to trade stocks, options, ETFs, mutual funds, bonds, futures and foreign stocks. Access to both foreign stocks and futures in a regular trading account is rare amongst brokers, so it’s worth emphasizing. Aside from operating an online broker, ETrade is a full service financial company that operates a bank on top of it’s online brokerage. The company was founded in 1982 and has over 2.3 customers world-wide.
- Stocks / ETFs: $9.99 ($7.99 for active traders who trade 150+ times a quarter)
- Mutual Funds: $0 for no-load, no transaction-fee funds. $19.99 for other funds.
- Options: $9.99 + $0.75 per contract. ($7.99 + $0.75 per contract for active traders)
- Bonds: $1.00 per bond. $0 for U.S. Treasury auctions and secondary treasury markets
- Global Trading (Foreign Stocks): Varies by country and commissions and investments are in foreign currencies.
- Futures: $2.99 per contract, per side + exchange fees.
- Fast trade execution
- Powerful trading platform for casual and active traders
- Earn an interest on your cash balance.
- Numerous banking features (Check writing, debit cards, etc)
- Enormous amounts of free trading resources / educational material
- Powerful mobile platform
- Live chat customer support available during business hours + 24/7 phone support
- Retirement guidance
- Numerous brick and mortar stores in the U.S.
- Up to $500 free for new accounts (Based on initial deposit)
- 60 Days of free trading for new accounts
ETrade Minimum Deposit to open an account: $500